License-plate readers create 'massive intelligence database'
Over the past two years, roof-mounted license-plate readers have alerted authorities to stolen vehicles
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — It's a little black box perched on a police car, and it's always watching.
When 87-year-old Katherine "Kit" Grazioli's body turned up along a dirt road in the foothills west of Colorado Springs last November, the little black box spied her stolen car within hours.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court