Texas grant to fund new computers, cameras in squads
Austin Daily Herald
AUSTIN, Texas — Thanks to a recent budget reshuffling and a $95,000 grant from the state, the Austin Police Department will be able to buy more equipment for its squad cars.
Police recently petitioned the Austin City Council to switch $21,000 set aside for police cameras to buy four new computers for squad cars this year and two computers in subsequent years, on a 10-computer rotation.
Krueger said police use those computers in a variety of situations, which include setting up perimeters around areas and communicating with other officers and dispatch on sensitive calls, or for things they don’t want on police scanners.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman