Grant allows Tenn. police to screen rape kits
By Jeff Beimfohr
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Dating back years—even decades—there are thousands of unscreened sexual assault kits in Memphis and Shelby County.
Many of those kits have been sitting since the 1980’s; now, thanks to a $500,000 grant—the arduous process of screening all those kits can begin.
The reason given most frequently for the backlog— is lack of funding.
Full Story: MPD Receives $500,000 to Screen Rape Kits
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court