NJ police departments receive DUI grant ahead of holidays
By Jeff Goldman
NEW JERSEY — Hundreds of New Jersey police departments have each received a $4,400 grant to participate in a holiday crackdown on drunken driving, state officials said.
The New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety awarded the money to 166 agencies to use for overtime as police across the state increase enforcement during the "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" program.
Additional sobriety checkpoints will be set up by departments to take drunk drivers off the road as well as deter other motorists from drinking and driving.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police