Ind. officer leaves gun in school restroom
A school resource officer mistakenly left his loaded pistol in a locked staff restroom at a school
By PoliceOne Staff
MORGAN TOWNSHIP, Ind. — A school resource officer mistakenly left his loaded pistol in a locked staff restroom at a school.
The NWI Times reports that Officer Dale Marshall mistakenly left the pistol in the elementary and middle school bathroom after responding to an emergency text. Marshall had removed the gun from its holster after entering the restroom.
The restroom is for staff members, and is self-locking, according to the report.
The gun was later discovered by a teacher and identified as Marshall’s weapon.
Marshall, who works as an officer with the Kouts Police Department in addition to being an SRO, will stay on in his position at the school following the incident.
Police Chief Jim Smith told NWI Times that the matter was handled according to policy.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper