Fla. K9 killer gets life sentence for night of crime
By Sarah Prohaska
The Palm Beach Post
FORT PIERCE, Fla.— Flanked by about half a dozen fellow K-9 officers, Michael Colton stood beside a painted portrait of his slain K-9 partner in a St. Lucie courtroom Friday and tried to explain how the dog's death affected not only his life and job, but also his family at home.
Colton said his daughter, who was 8 when the 5-year-old deputized German Shepherd was shot to death in the line of duty in 2004, also wanted to come to court Friday, but he wouldn't let her. The bond between dog and handler is forged not only on the job, but also at home — where, he said, Vasko became like a member of his family.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman