Detroit officer mourns K-9 partner
By Ben Schmitt
The Detroit Free Press
DETROIT — For seven years, Detroit Police officer Robert Huckestein cruised the city streets with Cavar, an 80-pound, full pedigree German shepherd known for his natural tracking abilities.
During Cavar’s tour, he serviced thousands of police calls and won the department’s medal of valor in 2001 for tracking down an armed man hiding on top of a garage. Cavar was the only department K-9 to receive the honor.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Detroit officer mourns K-9 partner
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman