Utah police K-9 nabs shoplifter who stabbed store employee
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - A man is in jail and an employee of a Smith's grocery store is in the hospital after an early-morning shoplifting incident turned violent.
2News reports that "A.J.", a Salt Lake City police dog, is credited with tracking down the suspect at an apartment complex near the Smith's store at 4500 S. and 900 East about 4 a.m.
The 23-year-old man allegedly tried to leave the store with some pizzas without paying for them. When confronted by an employee a struggle ensued, during which the employee was stabbed in the back.
The employee was in serious condition at a local hospital, police say.
Further information was not immediately available.
Copyright 2008 The Salt Lake Tribune
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house