Philly officer accidentally shoots, kills K-9
By Kathleen Brady Shea
PHILADELPHIA — A Plymouth Township police dog died in the line of duty yesterday, leaving a department in mourning.
Andy, a German shepherd who joined the force in 2005, was accidentally shot by an officer during a search for robber suspects in Lower Gwynedd Township. The bullet also struck Andy's handler, Officer Louis Layfield, in the chest of his bulletproof vest, Plymouth Township Chief Joseph F. Lawrence said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Philly officer accidentally shoots, kills K-9
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help