Wash. K-9 gets his last bad guy
SPOKANE, Wash. — Var the police dog has added one more arrest to his record; his last one.
Spokane police officers say the dog was on his last night of patrol before retirement when he cornered a teenager sought for investigation of murder.
A tip led officers to surround a house Sunday night, and in the ensuing search Officer Dan Lesser and Var found the 19-year-old suspect hiding in the basement.
Three other teens were being sought in connection with the stabbing death of 22-year-old Shannon Cochran.
It was Var's last night on duty after 8 years in service. The dog retired Monday because of medical problems and his replacement, a German Shepherd from Germany named Cisco, was flown in the same day.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help