Squad struck by vehicle injuring cop, K-9
The man who police had in the back seat of their patrol vehicle was released so that he could seek medical attention
By Gordon Wilczynski
Daily Tribune Staff Writer
EASTPOINTE, Mich. — A veteran Eastpointe canine officer and his dog were injured late Monday when a man suspected of being drunk smashed into their police vehicle while the officer was arresting a man for outstanding warrants and possession of narcotics.
Officer Randy Diegel, a 16-year Eastpointe police veteran with several departmental citations for outstanding work, is undergoing tests today at St. John Hospital, Detroit for head injuries.
His dog, Tico, was taken by Roseville and Madison Heights police canine handlers to a veterinary clinic and suffered a broken tooth.
Read more on the Daily Tribune.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help