K-9's life honored by 300 cops, 40 dogs
K-9 Ike was shot to death April 17 while rushing after a convicted felon who was trying to escape
By Denise Goolsby
PALM SPRINGS, Calif. — A blue and gold spray of flowers shaped like a paw. A folded American flag. His “reward” chew toy.
Holding a small wooden box with Ike's remains, his handler, Luciano “Junior” Colantuano placed it among those mementos of the fallen police dog at his memorial service Tuesday.
Ike, a 3-year-old German shepherd, was shot to death April 17 while rushing after a convicted felon who was trying to escape.
The man who shot Ike — Francisco Gabriel Durazo, 31, of Cathedral City — was killed when Ike's handler and another officer returned fire, police said.
Read more on MyDesert.com.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police