Video to give more clues to K9 death
Investigators are reviewing a video showing the cruiser in which the K-9 died
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW CASTLE, Pa. — In the investigation launched to determine the cause of death of a Pa. department's K-9, it came forward yesterday that there exists a surveillance video pointed in the direction of the police cruiser in which the K-9 died.
Chico, a Dutch shepherd who joined the city's K-9 unit in December 2009, died on Saturday afternoon. He was six years old.
Sources say that Chico's handler followed protocol, leaving him in the car with the air conditioning running. Usually, an emergency sensor device on the cruiser would kick in, but the investigation has said that this device failed.
The video should provide more information to the police who are reviewing it, shedding light on the beloved Chico's death. The memorial service is still scheduled for this Thursday to honor the K-9.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house