logo for print

2 officers shot, K-9 dead in Ind. standoff

After an overnight lockdown of the city of Pendleton, the shooting suspect was found dead

The Indy Channel

PENDLETON, Ind. — A manhunt for a suspected gunman in a shootout involving police ended early Friday morning with the deaths of two people, a police dog and injuries to two officers.

After an overnight lockdown of the city of Pendleton, the shooting suspect — Jim Kenneth Bailey, 59, of New Castle — was found dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Neal Shull, 48, who police described as an innocent bystander, was fatally shot as the shooter began firing indiscriminately during the standoff at a home in the 400 block of Water Street, investigators said.

Shull was the owner of N.S. Painting Co., a residential and commercial painting business in Pendleton and was well-known in the community.

"He was a friend of mine," said Pendleton Police Chief Mark Farrer, choking up. "I've known him for years, and he's deceased. Innocent victim — he was totally in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Shull's wife, Noelle, told RTV6's Julie Pursley that they had just moved to a new house and that Neal was moving items from the old one to the new one when he was killed, two doors away from the new house.

Police told everyone to stay inside, including Noelle, who frantically tried to call him dozens of times. When he didn't answer, she said she knew he was dead.

"I called him over 100 times. He didn't just not answer his phone, and he did not just not come home, not ever, not once," Shull said.

Police had been called to the home about 10:30 a.m. on a report of a disturbance involving Bailey and his ex-wife or ex-girlfriend, Farrer said.

Neighbors reported hearing rapid gunshots soon after officers arrived. Two officers, one from Pendleton and another from Anderson, were shot during the standoff. Both were taken to hospitals with injuries not believed to be life-threatening.

Anderson police Officer Marty Dulworth, an 11-year veteran of the force, was shot in the legs. He underwent surgery at an Indianapolis hospital early Friday morning, Anderson police Detective Joel Sandefur said.

The Pendleton officer, whose identity wasn't immediately released, was grazed by a bullet, police said.

A police dog, Kilo, was also killed in the shootout. Kilo and Dulworth had been working together since 2010.

"Kilo is the first Anderson Police Department K-9 to have died in the line of duty," Sandefur said.

Police said Bailey had been armed with an AK-47, two handguns, lots of ammunition, a flak jacket and was wearing a gas mask.

"He came with an ill intent," Farrer said. "We do not know if any police officer bullets struck him. We do know they fired back."

The woman involved in the domestic disturbance was not injured, police said.

Four SWAT units were used to evacuate several homes nearby during the standoff. They were allowed to go back to their homes after Bailey was found dead.

"People live here. They feel safe here, and they should. You never know when an incident like this could occur," Farrer said.

Reprinted with permission from The Indy Channel

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 PoliceOne.com. All rights reserved.