SWAT team kills man who shot K-9
CHP police dog was wounded in attack; man shot when he tried to re-enter home with wife and child inside
By Richard K. DeAtley
The Press Enterprise
BEAUMONT, Calif. — A Beaumont man was shot and killed by Riverside County sheriff's SWAT officers Monday, Dec. 10, after a standoff that ended when the man, who had earlier shot and wounded a CHP dog, tried to re-enter the home where his wife and a child were inside.
The man — later identified by the Riverside County coroner's office as Chandler Cardwell, 38, of Beaumont — was "so weird," said one neighbor. He often wandered a small park in the neighborhood, smoking cigarettes during the mid-morning hours, said Luz Silva, who lives nearby with her son, 15, and daughter, 9. Silva said the man seemed to be overly interested in neighbors' homes when most people were away at work.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: SWAT team kills man who shot K-9
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman