Mass. K-9 accidentally fires gun with paw
The dog was digging for the gun in a snowbank, where a suspect had thrown it from his vehicle
LAWRENCE, Mass. — Police say a dog searching for a gun in a snowbank accidentally pulled the trigger with its paw, firing the weapon.
No humans —or dogs — were hurt.
The episode started at around 2 a.m. Sunday when an officer on patrol heard three gunshots. When the officer went to investigate, he saw a vehicle speed away.
When the car pulled over, police saw a man leap out and bury something in the snow.
Ivan, a dog handled by the Essex County Sheriff's Department, was called to the scene to find whatever was buried in the snow. Police say he started digging furiously and fired the gun.
Three men were arrested and police determined the gun had been stolen in Manchester, N.H., in October.
Reprinted with permission from MyFoxBoston
- Bizarre Beat
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert