K-9 killed during standoff at Va. home
Police say in a news release that the man refused orders to put the gun down and surrender
NORFOLK, Va. — Police in Virginia say officers shot a man who barricaded himself inside a home and wounded a police dog that later died.
Local media outlets report that Norfolk officers were called to investigate a report of a domestic dispute Sunday. A woman escaped from the home while the man remained behind with a gun.
Police say in a news release that the man refused orders to put the gun down and surrender. After several hours, the man went outside and started shooting, striking a police dog. Officers shot the man, who was taken to a hospital with serious injuries.
Police say the dog was later pronounced dead at a veterinarian's office.
The man's name wasn't immediately released. Police say they've obtained warrants charging him with abduction, robbery and weapon counts.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman