Calif. man stabs self, chokes and bites police K-9
Frank Garcia, believed to be high on drugs, was punching car windows then stabbed himself 3 times before attacking the K-9
By Lisa Fernandez and George Kiriyama
NBC Bay Area
SAN JOSE, Calif. — Santa Clara County Sheriff's spokesman Kurtis Stenderup said they took Frank Garcia, 34, into custody on charges of resisting arrest, brandishing weapon, felony vandalism, being under the influence of a controlled substance and injuring a police dog - all from a bizarre incident on Monday near San Jose.
Garcia, armed with what deputies are saying was a knife, slashed a tire and smashed several car windows prompting more deputies to be called out for help. The deputies then released "Ski," which Garcia allegedly choked, punched and bit. Deputies were at that point able to tackle and subdue him.
"Ski," the German Shepherd, suffered some scraped paws but is expected to be OK and return to work soon.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman