Police K-9s in Maine to receive protective vests
By Duke Harrington
SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine — The newest member of the South Portland Police Department is getting some special equipment to go along with his graduation from training last week.
Trigger, a member of the city’s K-9 patrol, is one of 16 police dogs in Maine slated to get a bullet- and stab-resistant protective vest, thanks to a $15,000 grant from the Petco Foundation.
Using money raised at 1,200 Petco stores nationwide, including in South Portland, the Petco Foundation has given approximately $15 million each year to animal causes since its founding in 1999, including $100 million dedicated to the care of companion animals.
Full Story: Police dog to get protective vest
- Police Grants
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert