Video: Pa. police salute fallen K-9
Pittsburgh Mayor William Peduto says Rocco served the city faithfully and "paid the ultimate price in the line of duty"
PITTSBURGH — Authorities say a Pittsburgh police dog is dead after being stabbed by a fugitive.
Eight-year-old Rocco was injured Tuesday night when police arrested a man on warrants for probation violations and failing to register as a sex offender. He died Thursday evening.
Twenty-one-year-old John Lewis Rush was one of Allegheny County's most wanted fugitives. Police say he stabbed Rocco in the back and wounded two officers before being taken into custody.
Pittsburgh Mayor William Peduto says Rocco served the city faithfully and "paid the ultimate price in the line of duty."
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Officer Safety
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'