Video: Funeral held for Okla. K-9 stabbed to death
Police estimated that more than 1,000 people gathered Thursday for the service
OKLAHOMA CITY — Police estimated that more than 1,000 people, including members of the Oklahoma City Police Department, other law enforcement agencies and the public, gathered Thursday at First Southern Baptist Church in Oklahoma City for the funeral of Kye, the police dog who died Monday after being stabbed multiple times the night before, in the line of duty.
Kye was a 3-year-old German shepherd who had served with the Oklahoma City Police Department for about two years.
A man who led authorities on a chase Sunday night stabbed Kye when the dog caught up to him, police said. Kye's handler, officer Sgt. Ryan Stark fatally shot the man, Mark Salazar, 22, of Blue Mound, Texas, after trying to separate him from the dog, police said.
Copyright 2014 The Oklahoman
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform