Car strikes CHP Officer in LA during freeway traffic stop
Authorities say the motorcycle officer was hit while on the side of the freeway
By Scott Weber and Jonathan Lloyd
A CHP motorcycle officer was injured early Wednesday in a collision that involved two vehicles on the 405 near National Boulevard.
The officer was making a routine traffic stop around 8:45 a.m. on the side of the freeway when another motorist crossed into the shoulder, striking the officer and pushing him into a second vehicle, according to the CHP. The officer was identified as 52-year-old Phillip Ortiz.
"We have multiple witnesses that place an Infiniti sedan passing heavy traffic on that same right shoulder," said Sgt. Mark Garrett. "The sedan failed to stop and collided with the officer and his motorcylce, throwing the officer into the rear of that Honda SUV.
Read more at NBClosangeles.com.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court