Calif. motor officer hurt near police funeral
Cypress police Sgt. Bob Cote said that a Southern California motorcycle officer broke his wrists when he collided with a truck that was turning into a shopping complex
CYPRESS, Calif. — A Southern California motorcycle officer has been hurt in a traffic accident after he helped coordinate the memorial for another motorcycle officer who was killed while accompanying a policeman's funeral procession.
Cypress police Sgt. Bob Cote says the officer broke his wrists when he collided Friday with a truck that was turning into a shopping complex.
Cote says the officer had just finished his duties coordinating the funeral of 44-year-old Hawthorne Officer Andrew S. Garton at Cypress' Seacoast Grace Church. The accident happened about 2 1/2 miles from the service.
Garton was killed last month in a collision with another motorcycle officer as they escorted the procession for a Manhattan Beach officer who had died of cancer.
Cote wouldn't release the identity of the officer who was injured Friday.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman