Honolulu motorcycle officer killed in training
Chief: 'This is a time where we need to come together as a police department and support each other'
Duty Death: Chad Morimoto - [Honolulu, Hawaii]
By PoliceOne Staff
HONOLULU — A Honolulu traffic officer died Monday after an accident during motor escort training.
Officers were training near Mililani District Park when a motorcycle ridden by Chad Morimoto, 39, "slid out from under him," Police Chief Louis Kealoha told KITV.
Morimoto was transported to the hospital, where he later died of critical injuries. He was an eight-year police veteran and became a motorcycle officer two years ago.
"This incident is a tragedy and it deeply affects to the core our Honolulu Police Department — both our sworn officers as well as our civilian employees," Kealoha said at a press conference. "This is a time where we need to come together as a police department and support each other."
The department is investigating the cause of the accident.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter