Fla. deputies fatally shoot man pointing gun at them
The man reportedly began to advance on the deputies, pointing the gun at them
TAMPA, Fla. — Authorities say deputies fatally shot a man who aimed a BB gun at them at a Tampa Bay area apartment complex.
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office spokesman Larry McKinnon says in a news release that at least four deputies responded Tuesday night to the Windwood Oaks Apartments after 911 calls about man screaming and waiving a gun.
McKinnon says deputies found 27-year-old Jeffery Casale outside his home and told him multiple times to drop what appeared to be a semi-automatic handgun. Casale reportedly began to advance on the deputies, pointing the gun at them, and the deputies opened fire. Casale was taken to a nearby hospital, where he later died.
The gun turned out to be a Colt Defender air pistol.
The release says Casale was white. The races of the deputies weren't immediately known.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds