Ill. mob shoots fireworks at police
Shot fireworks at cops and firefighters as entertainment for hundreds of onlookers
ALTON, Ill. -- Authorities say an unruly mob lured police and firefighters to a housing complex near St. Louis then attacked them with bottle rockets and fireworks.
No one was injured in the attacks late Sunday and early Monday.
Deputy fire chief Mark Harris says the assaults appeared to be intended as entertainment for hundreds of people who gathered at the Oakwood Housing Complex to watch.
Authorities say the emergency personnel who came under attack were responding to reports of fires, a shooting and illegal fireworks in the area.
There has been no word on any arrests.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests