Ill. mob shoots fireworks at police
Shot fireworks at cops and firefighters as entertainment for hundreds of onlookers
ALTON, Ill. -- Authorities say an unruly mob lured police and firefighters to a housing complex near St. Louis then attacked them with bottle rockets and fireworks.
No one was injured in the attacks late Sunday and early Monday.
Deputy fire chief Mark Harris says the assaults appeared to be intended as entertainment for hundreds of people who gathered at the Oakwood Housing Complex to watch.
Authorities say the emergency personnel who came under attack were responding to reports of fires, a shooting and illegal fireworks in the area.
There has been no word on any arrests.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman