Sheriff: Alleged serial stabber attacks Mich. officer
Abuelazam was unshackled and outside his cell Wednesday night when he attacked the two deputies
The Associated Press
FLINT, Michigan — A sheriff says an alleged Israeli serial killer who is accused in a string of stabbings across three states tried to punch a sergeant and was subdued with a stun gun. Two deputies were injured.
Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell tells The Flint Journal that Elias Abuelazam, an Arab Christian, was unshackled and outside his cell Wednesday night at the time.
Pickell says five deputies rushed to assist. He says Abuelazam's face was swollen but he wasn't seriously injured.
Abuelazam is charged with three murders in the Flint area as well as five attempted murders. He also is charged with attempted murder in Toledo, Ohio, and is a suspect in similar crimes in Virginia.
Authorities have said in some stabbings the victims were asked for help or directions before being attacked.
Abuelazam, 34, was arrested in Atlanta earlier this year while trying to fly to his native Israel.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Use of Force
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds