Gunman opens fire on Calif. police station; suspect dead
No officers were injured during the incident
TEMPLE CITY, Calif. — A gunman is dead after he opened fire on the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department station in Temple City.
Officials told NBC San Diego that the gunman, who was registering as a sex offender, opened fire on deputies Monday morning when they followed him back out to his car.
Officials deployed SWAT and two armored vehicles to “neutralize the threat,” Deputy Juanita Navarro-Suarez said in a statement.
Police deployed a flash-bang device at the SUV, KTLA 5 reported. No movement was apparent inside the vehicle.
Authorities exited the armored vehicle and determined the threat was eliminated. The gunman was pronounced dead at the scene, the Los Angeles Times reported. According to The San Gabriel Valley Tribune, it appears the suspect died of a probable self-inflicted wound.
No deputies were injured in the incident.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend