Georgia officer killed by carjacking suspect
Police are searching house-by-house for a suspect who killed one cop and critically wounded another Tuesday
Duty Death: Senior Police Officer Elmer (Buddy) Christian - [Athens-Clarke County Police Department, Georgia]
ATHENS, Ga. — Police in a Georgia college town say one officer has been shot and killed and another hurt while trying to stop a carjacking suspect.
Athens-Clarke police Capt. Clarence Holeman tells The Associated Press the second officer was badly wounded and being treated at a local hospital Tuesday afternoon.
Police are searching house-by-house for a suspect, whom they describe as a 33-year-old man.
The Athens Banner-Herald reports that Athens-Clarke police swarmed an area off a highway in a massive search for the shooting suspect after the gunfire was reported around 1:30 p.m. Athens, about 60 miles east of Atlanta, is home to the University of Georgia.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house