2 Fla. cops injured by gun-wielding man
Officers exchanged gunfire with the suspect, who then shot himself
ST. CLOUD, Fla. — A central Florida police officer was shot and another one was injured when a man armed with two assault rifles fired at them during an early morning shooting spree.
St. Cloud police spokesman Shayln Gilbert says multiple people called 911 early Monday to report that a man was firing a gun in the neighborhood.
Gilbert says the man fired multiple times into one home before he fired at the responding police vehicles. Officer Clinton Wise was shot in the foot as he got out of the car. Officer Spencer Endsley was injured by glass fragments.
She says the officers exchanged gunfire with the suspect, who then shot himself in the face. He is in critical condition at an Orlando hospital. No one else was injured.
A police investigation continues.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court