Ga. deputy dies in wreck
Deputy Ronnie Smith had been with the sheriff's department four years
Duty Death: Ronnie Smith - [Jackson, Georgia]
By Marcus K. Garner
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
JACKSON, Ga. — A Butts County sheriff's deputy was killed overnight responding to a call, Channel 2 Action News reported. About 10:30 p.m. Saturday, Deputy Ronnie Eugene Smith, 49, was en route to a report of a fight when his car went off Biles Road near Four Points Road and hit two trees.
Smith, who's been with the Sheriff's Department four years, died at the scene, authorities told Channel 2. Sheriff Gene Pope said road conditions in Butts, south of Henry County, were clear at the time of the crash, and the department is investigating the cause of the accident.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Ga. deputy dies in wreck
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house