Body found in Minn. cop's shooting
Authorities recovered the body of a suspect wanted for critically injuring a Lake City police officer Monday morning
By PoliceOne Staff
LAKE CITY, Minn. — Authorities recovered the body of a suspect wanted for critically injuring a Lake City police officer Monday morning.
One of Lake City Police's 10 sworn officers, 32-year-old Shawn Schneider was shot in the head as he and another officer responded to a domestic, according to the Post Bulletin. Residents were evacuated and local schools locked down as a SWAT team searched for presumed shooter Alan J. Sylte Jr., 25, who was reported to possibly have military training.
Police took caution in determining whether Sylte was inside, sources said, calling in a negotiations specialist to talk over a PA system and sending a robot to search the home's first floor. Law enforcement later entered and found what they believed to be Sylte's body.
Lake City Mayor Jerry Dunbar referred to Schneider as "Officer Shawn" for his notoreity in the small community, which he said was shaken by the day's events.
Schneider remains in critical condition at Saint Marys Hospital.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform