Off-duty cop steps in when 9 shot at Tenn. nightclub
A fight broke out at a Christmas party in Chattanooga
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — Authorities say nine people were shot when a fight broke out at a Chattanooga nightclub, where some 400 teens and adults were attending a Christmas party. Police say all those shot are expected to survive.
Chattanooga police said in a press release Sunday morning that an off-duty officer who had been working at Club Fathom fired shots at a suspect who pointed a gun at him, but the gunman got away. The officer was not wounded.
Police Chief Bobby Dodd tells WTVC-TV that a fight broke out at the club around midnight.
No arrests have been made, and it was not immediately known how the fight started.
Police say they are still working to gather details because of the number of victims and possible suspects involved.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Off Duty
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman