Transient charged in baton attack on Calif. officer
Prosecutors on Thursday filed an assault charge on a 38-year-old transient who allegedly attacked a police officer the day before
By Tracy Manzer
LONG BEACH, Calif. — Prosecutors on Thursday filed an assault charge on a 38-year-old transient who allegedly attacked a police officer the day before, using the officer's baton and reaching for her gun, authorities said.
The patrol officer was working in the area of the 1400 block of East Ocean Boulevard at about 1:20 p.m. Wednesday when she saw the suspect, identified as Michael Bangerter, picking through recycle bins, said Nancy Pratt a Long Beach Police Department spokeswoman,
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house