NY cop escapes injury in gun battle
One shot struck Officer Thomas Richards's gun belt, but the bullet was deflected by a spare ammunition magazine
By Joseph Goldstein
The New York Times Blogs
NEW YORK — A police officer shot and wounded an armed gunman early Monday during a running gun battle that spanned several blocks across the Lower East Side, the police said in a statement.
The shootout began after two officers, Thomas Richards and his partner, Thomas Dunne, got out of a police van on Columbia Street and approached a 25-year-old man, Luis Martinez, about 1:44 a.m., the police said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: NY cop escapes injury in gun battle
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court