NY cop escapes injury in gun battle
One shot struck Officer Thomas Richards's gun belt, but the bullet was deflected by a spare ammunition magazine
By Joseph Goldstein
The New York Times Blogs
NEW YORK — A police officer shot and wounded an armed gunman early Monday during a running gun battle that spanned several blocks across the Lower East Side, the police said in a statement.
The shootout began after two officers, Thomas Richards and his partner, Thomas Dunne, got out of a police van on Columbia Street and approached a 25-year-old man, Luis Martinez, about 1:44 a.m., the police said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: NY cop escapes injury in gun battle
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman