Gunman shoots Atlanta cop from rooftop
Officer was shot in the leg as he left a restaurant on Thursday night
ATLANTA — Atlanta police say a city officer was shot and wounded by an unknown gunman who targeted him from a nearby rooftop.
The officer was shot in the leg as he left a restaurant on Thursday night in Little Five Points, a busy dining and entertainment district.
Police said Friday no arrests have been made.
Investigators believe the shooter waited for the officer to come out of the restaurant, then fired six to seven shots. Police were searching a nearby rooftop for shell casings and other evidence, they told WSB-TV (http://bit.ly/GIWgp6 ).
An officer nearby heard the gunfire, rushed over to the fallen officer and radioed for help, police said.
The wounded officer was taken to a hospital, where authorities said he was in stable condition.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy