Gunman dies, 2 officers shot on Fla.'s Turnpike
A female Key Biscayne police officer, believed to have been shot in the neck, was rushed to a nearby hospital
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. — Authorities say a gunman who apparently fired a weapon while walking on a median of the busy Florida's Turnpike has been killed in a shootout that wounded two South Florida law enforcement officers.
The Thursday afternoon shootout snarled rush-hour traffic as both directions of the turnpike in Broward County were stopped. Officers were searching Thursday evening for at least one other suspect.
Authorities say a female Key Biscayne police officer, believed to have been shot in the neck, was rushed to a nearby hospital. A second officer, believed to be with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, also was wounded and taken to a hospital. No other injuries immediately were reported.
Additional information about the officers and suspect was not immediately available.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help