Chicago officer critical after collapse serving warrant
In 2010, officer shot the killer of a fellow cop
By Fran Spielman
CHICAGO — He earned the Chicago Police Department's highest award for bravery after gunning down the killer of fellow Chicago Police Officer Thor Soderberg — without wearing a bulletproof vest.
Now, just three months after celebrating his 40th birthday, he's fighting for his own life.
Chicago Police Sgt. Jason Kaczynski collapsed and suffered an apparent heart attack last week while serving a search warrant at 64th and Normal at a location where an AK-47 was recovered.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house