2 deputies shot during Wash. traffic stop
A suspect on pretrial release for drug charges set off crime spree and pursuit that stretched across much of the county
By Spokesman Review Staff
SPOKANE, Wash. — A routine traffic stop on the Newport Highway on Tuesday afternoon became a gunfight that left two sheriff's deputies wounded and set off a chaotic crime spree that stretched across most of north Spokane County.
The alleged gunman, 41-year-old Charles R. Wallace, fled the scene and led law enforcement on a high-speed chase in a sedan he carjacked after the shooting, firing repeatedly at pursuing cars before he shot and killed himself in the Deer Park area.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: 2 deputies shot during Wash. traffic stop
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house