Md. officer kills fox, shoots self in leg
A Prince George's County officer accidentally shot himself while backing away from a possibly rabid fox
FORT WASHINGTON, Md. — Prince George's County police said an officer accidentally shot himself while backing away from a possibly rabid fox.
Edward Martin, a police spokesman, said the officer killed the fox but shot himself in the leg during the incident in Fort Washington on Monday evening. Martin said the officer was taken to a hospital for treatment with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.
He said the officer was called to the 13000 block of Clarion Road by a woman who reported she had been bitten in two places by the fox. Martin said when three officers arrived at the woman's house, the fox "charged at them."
While backing away, he said one officer tripped on some steps and accidentally shot himself.
Copyright 2012 Capital Gazette Communications, Inc.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Md. officer kills fox, shoots self in leg
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help