NY ex-con charged with murder in officer's killing
The suspect is accused of killing a policeman who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident on Tuesday.
By Frank Eltman
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.— An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a New York police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim is charged with first-degree murder.
Police officers packed the courtroom for Darrell Fuller's appearance Thursday in Hempstead on Long Island.
Authorities say the Queens man had been hospitalized until Wednesday for self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
Fuller is accused of killing a policeman who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident on Tuesday.
Authorities allege Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim while stealing his vehicle.
The name of Fuller's attorney was not immediately known.
Fuller served four years in prison after pleading guilty to attempted murder in 2005.
A funeral for Nassau County Officer Arthur Lopez is planned for Saturday.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman