Cop shoots kidnapper after run down with car
Cop says he feared for his life when he fired, as the car charged toward him
By Jeremy Gorner and Jeff Danna
CHICAGO—A police officer in the Lawndale neighborhood shot and critically wounded a man suspected of abducting his 2-year-old child from a suburb and then running down the police officer as he approached Sunday evening, authorities said.
When the officer approached the man's car, he backed up, then unable to back further, went forward to try to drive off, hitting the officer, authorities said. The officer fired shots into car, striking the suspect, authorities said.
Chicago Police said in a statement that the officer, who has worked for the department for 16 years, was in fear for his life when he fired.
Full Story: Chicago Officer Shoots Suspect with Child in Car
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court