Ga. officer killed in hit-and-run
The officer and a roadside assistant were helping a stranded motorist when a truck hit them both
Duty Death: Elgin L. Daniel - [Stockbridge, Georgia]
By PoliceOne Staff
STOCKBRIDGE, Ga. — A Henry County officer was killed Monday during a hit-and-run incident.
Officer Elgin L. Daniel, 53, was assisting a stranded motorist when he and a roadside assistance worker were both struck by a vehicle, police told 11 Alive.
The two men were putting gas into the stranded red Mustang when they were hit.
"[They] were standing on the side where you put gas in, and I was standing behind it," said driver Gordon Jarrett. "Next thing I know, I seen two bodies fly through the air."
The vehicle continued driving toward Rockdale County. Authorities believe the suspect is driving a 1997 to 2007 F250 pickup truck with damage to the driver mirror and the front left side, according to the article.
Daniel served 26 years with DeKalb County Police before retiring as a Lieutenant and had been with Henry County Police two years.
The roadside assistance worker, John Cook, 58, is recovering from non-life-threatening injuries at Atlanta Medical Center.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform