'Occupy Philadelphia' members protest man's death
Officers reportedly saw the suspect brandish a gun and struggled to wrest it from him before shots were fired
By Aubrey Whelan and Jessica Parks
The Philadelphia Inquirer
PHILADELPHIA — Activists rallied Sunday at 19th Police District headquarters in West Philadelphia to protest the death of Derrick "Browny" Flynn, who was shot by police two weeks ago.
Police have said Flynn, 35, was on a bike near 61st and Arch Streets when two officers tried to question him. Officers reportedly saw him brandish a gun and struggled to wrest it from him. One officer fired three shots that killed Flynn, police said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help