FBI: Officer deaths up last two years
72 officers were killed criminally in 2011, highest number since 1995, say statistics
By Mark Govaki
Dayton Daily News
DAYTON, Ohio — New FBI statistics show that 72 law enforcement officers were killed criminally in the line of duty in 2011, making it the highest number of police deaths nationally since 1995.
The numbers rose from 41 in 2008 to 48 in 2009 to 56 in 2010
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: FBI: Officer deaths up last two years
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court