Inmate sets fire to police station using mattress
Police later found that the suspect retrieved matches from a pair of pants he had found
By Leigh Kreimeier
The Stuttgart Daily Leader
STUTTGART, Ark. — Jevon L. Stigger, 33, of Stuttgart will more than likely be adding to his arrest record after setting a mattress on fire inside a holding cell at the Stuttgart Police Department. The stench is still prevalent this morning after the building filled with black smoke Wednesday afternoon.
The Stuttgart Fire Department was called and placed high powered fans at the west side entrance. The mattress had been removed.
Stigger was placed in one of the holding cells after being brought in on second-degree criminal mischief charges and an unauthorized use of vehicle charge. He was searched before being placed in the cell, according to SPD.
Later they found that Stigger found a pair of pants inside the cell that had a book of matches in them, which he used to set the fire. He also found a disposable cup that he used to plug off water and flood the area.
Stigger was transported to the Arkansas County Detention Center.
Reprinted with permission from the Stuttgart Daily Leader
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house