Md. police trainee shot in head in firearm accident
Officials say police academy training has been suspended pending a safety review
BALTIMORE — A Maryland police trainee is in critical condition after being shot in the head in a training accident.
Authorities said at a news conference late Tuesday that the trainee, who is in his 40s, underwent surgery at the Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.
City police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the trainee was in critical condition.
Guglielmi said the accident happened about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at a firearms training center on the grounds of the former Rosewood Center in Owings Mills, a suburb of Baltimore. City police were administering the training.
Officials say police academy training has been suspended pending a safety review.
The man was a trainee for the University of Maryland, Baltimore campus police.
Maryland State Police are leading the investigation into the incident.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court