Police: Veteran master trooper shot, killed
J. A. Walker was 60 years old and had been with Virginia State Police 40 years
Duty Death: Junius A. Walker - [Richmond, Virginia]
By Ray Daudani
DINWIDDIE, VA. — Virginia State Police confirm a veteran State Trooper was shot and killed Thursday afternoon on Interstate 85 south.
Master Trooper J. A. Walker was 60 years old and had been with Virginia State Police since 1963. He lived and worked in Dinwiddie since 1986.
Another trooper responded to a call of shots fired and found Trooper Walker's patrol car in the woods off the right side of the highway. The responding trooper saw a man standing outside Walker's car and repeatedly firing into it, according to VSP Spokesperson Corinne Geller. The responding trooper shot at the man, who ran into the woods. He was arrested 40 minutes later by the Dinwiddie County Sheriff's Office and is now in State Police custody. Charges are pending and his name is not yet being released.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman