Video released of armed man shot at Ill. police station
An officer was forced to shoot the man, who had a suicide note in his pocket
By Rick Kambic
News Sun Times
VERNON HILLS, Ill. — Vernon Hills police released surveillance footage of the April 3 confrontation with Howard Lazarus, 53, of Mundelein, that led to a shooting inside the police department.
Release of the footage coincides with the officer being cleared of wrong doing on Tuesday, April 16. Police spokeswoman Sharon Joseph said the Lake County Major Crimes Task Force concluded its investigation and suggested the officer return to work.
The released video starts with Lazarus entering the building in the early morning hours claiming to have been involved in a car accident in Mundelein. Soon after, Lazarus reveals a handgun prompting the officer to seek cover. The two men shout to one another, in which police say Lazarus asked to be shot.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police