Video: Drunk driver barely misses mounted police
The driver ran a red light, missing two of the mounted officers in the middle of the intersection
ORLANDO, Fla. — Three Orlando police officers on horseback were almost hit by a drunken driver who ran a red light downtown, police said.
The officers were crossing the intersection of Washington Street and Magnolia Avenue at 1:40 a.m. Sunday morning when a green two-door Honda sped through. The officers managed to dodge the car.
Police said the driver, Joseph Boyer, of Longwood, continued to Washingston Street and Court Avenue where he almost hit pedestrians and crashed into barricades that were being used to block off the street.
Police stopped him at gunpoint and then began a DUI investigation.
According to police, he failed an eye movement test, a walk-and-turn exercise and a one-leg stand exercise.
His breath test showed a blood alcohol content of .178, police said.
He was released on $500 bond.
Reprinted with permission from WESH.com
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms